My house smells like cinnamon buns! This recipe yields 50-60 cookies.
Take the dough and roll it out to about 1/4th of an inch thick. Use powdered sugar instead of flour to keep it from sticking so it doesn't get tough.
spread the filling on the dough.
Press it into the dough.
Leave a little room at the top to seal the dough.
Start rolling the dough from the bottom.
When it gets to the edge, use a little water and pinch the dough so it seals.
Store it in the ice box until it firms up a bit.
After about 30-60 minutes, taking one roll at a time, cut it into 1/4-1/2 inch slices and place on a baking sheet 1 inch apart.
In the meantime, while the cookies are chilling, put all the remaining filling and leftover dusting sugar in a bowl.
Mix it throughly and pour in about 1/4 cup os HOT milk. Warm the milk in a microwave.
Whisk until throughly combined.
Add icing sugar until it becomes thick and lighter in color.
Just like that!
Pour it into a plastic baggie and store in the ice box until the cookies are finished baking and cooling.
Put the cookies on a flat surface and ice away!
Don't they look delicious?
Cinnamon Bun Sugar Cookies
Recipe taken from foodnetwork.com Alton Brown
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Powdered sugar, for rolling out dough
- *Optional Add a teaspoon of vanilla or almond extract*
1. Beat butter and sugar in a mixer until light and fluffy.
2. Add egg and milk and extract.
3. Beat for another minute so thoroughly combine all the ingredients.
4. Sift the dry ingredients and add to the wet ingredients.
5. Split the dough in half
6. The dough is very soft so take a spoon and ladle it onto a piece of plastic wrap.
7. Chill in the ice box for an hour or so.
8. You are ready to roll!
1 cup of light brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
1. Take the brown sugar and break it up in the bowl
2. Add the cinnamon and throughly mix it with a fork or your hands.
3. Pour in the butter and distribute it throughly.
4. Reserve 2 tablespoons of it for the icing.
1/4 cup of HOT milk
Icing sugar (about 1-2 cups)
1. Take reserved filling and any extra dusting sugar used the roll out the cookies.
2. Add the hot milk and whist until everything is dissolved.
3. Add icing sugar until the icing becomes thick and light in color.
To make the cookies
1. Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch.
2. Spread the filling on the dough.
3. Roll the dough starting on the bottom.
4. Wrap the roll in plastic wrap and chill it in the ice box.
5. Cut the cookies 1/4-1/2 of an inch thick.
6. Cook 8-10 minutes in a 375ºF oven.
7. Cool on a rack and store in an airtight container in between pieces of parchment paper.